Friday, July 17, 2009

Candy Factory

When I was a kid, I toured the Hershery Chocolate Factory in Oakdale, California, with my family. There were large pools of melted chocolate being poured like ribbons into machines of sorts. We watched cocoa beans being processed into the familar Hershey's Chocolate Bar, and we walked through production lines of kisses, heath bars, and chocolate syrup. It was the closest to a Willy Wonka Factory that you will ever get. And ofcourse the free chocolate bar at the end was a welcomed treat, after breathing in the aroma of chocolate throughout the tour.

I wanted to give my kids a similar experience and came up with the Cerreta Candy Company located in Glendale Arizona. We picked up Grandma Great Lela and made the drive to Glendale, where we were meeting more family members. I think I painted the picture too grand for my kids, as the factory was much smaller and didn't include a walking tour. But nonetheless, the girls got to see the machines whip up some orange flavored salt-water taffy, and a sea of caramel being chopped into squares and wrapped by a machine, and how chocolate was melted down to form molds of any kind.



Me and the girls in the parking lot before the tour.

The girls and their Great Grandmother Lela Carpenter Abegg



The girls and I at the entry doors.

The whole gang: Hydee and her 4 oldest Macey, Colten, Abbey & Laird; Mom; Rosanne and two kids Skyler & Garren; Me and my 4, Aubree, Maya, Ella, & Kate; Grandma Great



Watching the demonstrations, and waiting for samples.





Maya testing out the orange flavored salt water taffy.


Above: Rosanne & Garren. Below: Some of the kids got to make "sausage and eggs" using white choclate, yellow candies, and pretzel sticks. They shared with all the cousins.

No comments:

Post a Comment